The Old Iron Pier (1890 - 1906)
|This is an 1898 USGS map whose information came from an 1893 survey. The Iron Pier was actually made out of wood and is the rectangular black structure that points to the crossing of the NYC Railroad tracks and the trolley tracks This intersection of the tracks was where North Salina St. come to an end. The L-shaped waterway at the end of the word "Pier" is the inlet where the boats would dock, bringing visitors to the Iron Pier from the other resort areas around the shore of Onondaga Lake. Also notice all the Salt Sheds still operating around the perimeter of the lake.|
Plans For The Pier
Specifications for the proposed New Structure at the Lake on Exhibition
Plans and specifcations for a new pier at the lake are now open to inspection at the office of the People's Railroad Company on Wolf street in the First Ward. The new business venture is in the hands of the Iron Pier Company of Utica, who will in addition to the pier, excavate and dredge for a convenient and suitable harbor. The site selected extends from the terminus of North Salina street, southward along the Central Hudson freight track. An embankment 620 feet long by 40 feet in height will be built up to the level of Salina street from the crossing to Onondaga creek. On the embankment a pavillion 500 feet in length and 30 feet in width will be erected. It will be constructed of Georgia pine, and will be elegant architectural design. From the center of the pavillion will rise a tower, with builler(??) tows at either end of the structure. At the southern end of the pier, a breakwater will be constructed of piling and will extend 600 feet out into the lake, on one side of which a deep basin will be dredged, forming a convenient harbor for the anchorage of craft.
The plans and specifications will be open for inspection till Wednesday noon, October 9, until which time bids for doing the work will be received.
The Syracuse Courier, Syracuse, NY, October 1, 1889
And Then It Was All Over!