The Old Salt Road

Now LeMoyne Street

 

 

 

 

McGrath Genealogy  |  Upperchurch Connections  |       Old Mattydale          |  What's New  |  Contact

 

 

McGrath Genealogy  |  Upperchurch Connections  |       Old Mattydale          |  What's New  |  Contact

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Old Salt Road

 

 

Remains of sections of the old Lemoyne St., still called Lemoyne St. were part of the old Salt Road. The enlarged and improved LeMoyne was named LeMoyne Avenue.

 

Lemoyne Ave comes up from the center of the bottom of the 1926 photo on the left and heads north before jogging to the right by about 45o. Today, the new Lemoyne Ave. goes straight and blends into Brewerton Road, as seen in the 2014 photo on the right. The original Lemoyne Ave in this section is called Lemoyne St. It has been repaved many times but it follows the path of the old Salt Road.

 

The even earlier Lemoyne went straight before the plank road was built in 1846. Lemoyne had been the State Road, the old Salt Road, from 1812. Lemoyne had a steep rise as it neared the village and that didnít matter much for wagons loaded with salt heading north. The farmers, for whom the plank road was intended, had a difficult time climbing the hill with a loaded wagon. Hence, it appears the builders of the plank road extended Wolf St instead and then merged with the state road at Molloy Road, or the Richmond Road as it was called then. And with that the area that was to become Mattydale got the beginning of its triangle